- Email a themed invitation (see example above – click to enlarge) and require a prompt RSVP so you can email your guests a ballot (see example below – click to enlarge.) Guests to arrive with ballots filled out (or emailed – if coming late). Require all guests bring a bottle of wine to be divided among the three winning guests.
- If you have a computer techie, who is willing, ask him/her to create a program or a less complicated spreadsheet to track guests’ correct choices. If not, designate ahead someone to handle this paperwork. (Have questions prepared about the movies to break any ties.)
- Download and print pictures of nominated films and stars for decor.
- A red carpet remnant at your front door enhances the Oscar theme.
- If possible, record the Award’s Party, even the interviews on the red carpet. When guests arrive, start watching from wherever desired.
- Tie the food to the motion pictures nominated. Order some dishes in, have guests bring a few, and cook one or two yourself. Example:
THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING – Welch Rarebit, Toast, & Raw Veggies
THE IMITATION GAME – Water Crest Sandwiches
BOYHOOD – Mini Sliders
WHIPLASH – Chicken Drumettes
SELMA – Cornbread and Greens
THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL – Gypsy Goulash
BIRDMAN – New York Cheese Cake
AMERICAN SNIPER – *Snickers Marathon Bars
*A 650-calorie power bar – A recently returned vet from Afghanistan said, “A sniper would have more than one of these in his pocket.”