Sometimes it’s challenging to give advice. Her children shun her attempts because they know everything about everything anyhow. Her contemporaries, as hard of hearing as she, are a lost cause. But then, there is her writers’ group, a captive audience if ever there was one.
Here are ten things she knows are true:
1. Be careful whom you ask for an honest opinion.
2. Be equally careful when someone asks for yours.
3. If you indulge in a hot fudge sundae on Sunday, avoid mirrors on Monday.
4. Unresolved regrets can cause insomnia.
5. Ethnic jokes are not offensive if the speaker, the listener, and the subject of the joke all belong to the same tribe.
6. It’s better to laugh than cry.
7. It’s not a good plan to dry your underwear in the microwave.
8. No is not a four-letter word.
9. It’s more fun to be rich than poor.
10. The only thing you can be certain of is uncertainty.
And as a bonus: Free advice is worth every penny you pay for it.